Tuesday, September 1, 2009

For the Adventurous

I absolutely can't wait to start on this sweater myself. The adventure comes from three characteristics: a very loose gauge: you'll definitely need a cami under this one, a seriously deep v-neck; see #1, and the fact that this isn't a pattern as much as a set of guidelines.
However, just like mapping the ocean floor, this is one adventure worth taking. And don't be frightened by the lack of stitch counts and that other Hoo-Ha. Knitters with some knowledge of sweater construction will have no problem with this project.
The Cabled Sweater is a gift to us from Ravelry user, Hinke. Click on her name for her Ravelry project page, it's worth it!Readers of this blog will be able to tell in a second why this sweater attracts me. There's a sweeping v-neck and detail right under the bust that draws the eye inward and makes you focus on the slimmest part of the torso. The loose sleeve construction hides any under-arm rolls or tricep flab. Not that Hinke (above) has to worry about any of that. How hot is that picture above?!?!?! Very Abercrombie. Hinke used Phildar Kid Mohair and US 11s for this knit.

Vampiroknit, also know as Weronica, illustrates another plus for this pattern. It's knit up in a thinner yarn with a bigger guage. Here, she uses Anilux Moherek in brown on size US 15 needles! It makes me giddy thinking about how fast this knit can go. The best thing about the loose gauge is the fabric it makes is very flowy and doesn't cling to every hill and valley along the mid-section. The sheerness also adds another bit of sexy that's always a plus in hand-knits. Weronika calls this size 48. I think that's bust measurement, but I'm sure she'll correct me if it's otherwise.

Our last model, Chibitora (blog is in Japanese), AKA Yuko, used two yarns: Jaeger Mohair Art and Bouton d'Or Ondine. I'm assuming she held them together, but I'm not 100%. Yuko? Would you like to let us know in the comments? Yuko also used size US 11 needles and knit up a small. This photo illustrates the best feature of this sweater. Even in a bathroom-mirror-self-portrait, this sweater looks straight from the runway. Seriously, I haven't seen a bad one yet. While you're admiring Yuko's mad photo skills, run over to her Rav Projects Page and be prepared to turn green with envy. Yuko, you are a knitting goddess!


Here's another Red-Hot number by Frauchaotis (Blog is in German.) What is it about this sweater that all the photos look like they belong in Vogue? I'm not sure what kind of yarn she used here, but she knit it up one US 10s. I have to say, after knitting socks for a while the idea of a fast knit on big needles is making me antsy to no end. This version was knit up a little tighter than the others and it looks like a thicker yarn. I'd stick with the looser version if you're a large or bigger, but this tighter gauge is smokin' on the slimmer ladies. It just goes to show how yarn selection, gauge, and fit can work for or against a pattern. Knowing your body and what looks good on it will go miles to insure all your knits work for your shape.


Conclusions:
The deep-v and bust detail visually squeeze in your waist and make it look as small as the area right under the bust (which is usually the smallest area on the torso, unless you are a small or extra small, but then, if you are that small, why do you care?) Loose gauge helps the fabric flow away from the body and skim over any lumps or bumps. This is a gorgeous sweater that doesn't seem to allow itself to look homemade. Smaller people can get away with doubling up yarn or using a thicker weight, but it's best to stay on the thinner side in terms of yarn. Kimono-style arms hide under-arm cleavage and flabby triceps. Go on and knit this! Right now!

Speak up:
What do you think of this sweater? How do you think color choice would affect the look of Cabled? Any yarns you're dying to try this in? How tired are you of me going on about the virtues of v-necks?

2 comments:

  1. I found your site listed in the blogger thread on Ravelry - I'm so glad I found you! This site is brilliant! Everything you're talking about I've been thinking about but couldn't put into words, so I'll be cruising through your archives and waiting for your next post :) Keep these posts coming!!!!

    Tina (Tenacious on ravelry)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there. I've come to this blog via Ravelry and after reading 2 posts I've already got another must knit. How many more will I have as I scroll through the archives? Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated. If you can't say something nice, shut the hell up!