Thursday, May 20, 2010

Talia, by Sweaterbabe

From the pattern description on Knitty.com:
The resulting fit is ultra flattering whether it’s worn casually open or closed like a fitted corset. I love this vest with a flirty blouse and dark skirt for a night out, or over a long-sleeve tee and jeans. It’s the perfect go-to piece to fill the void in my closet. -- Katherine of SweaterBabe.com
 I actually picked this pattern before I read that description.  It goes to show that Sweaterbabe really knows her stuff.  You guys already know I'm all over the deep necklines and cinched waists, but here's a design with those features built in to intentionally create a flattering garment.  But enough about that.  Let's see what YOU did with Talia.  I'm going to change up the format a little here, let me know if it works.




 This is: Michelle
Also known as: Mishabomb
(Not to be confused with Sandra Bullock's arch nemesis, Michelle "Bombshell" McGee, who I refuse to link to because she is rank.  But that's a different Michell and a different bomb.  We like this one!)
Needle: US 8 - 5.0 mm

Charcoal
Size: M
Michelle had a great idea for those of us who hate knitting buttonholes.  She sewed up the front of the vest and added dummy buttons.  Since the neck is so wide, she just slips it on like a t-shirt.  I really like the Talia teamed up with the short-sleeved blouse and jeans.  This could easily go to work or fit in in a more casual setting.

This is: Katie
Also known as: Iftimeexists
: US 9 - 5.5 mm
Jaded Dreams M-190
Size: L
I love that Katie went for a bold color here. There's no reason to stick to black or dark colors just to try and look slim.  If the garment isn't flattering, it could be invisible and still look bad (I'm pretty sure.  Let me know if you try this.)
The turquoise looks great on Katie, whereas a darker color would have washed her out and made her look like she had the flu, which I'd bet is NOT a look anyone is going for.


This is: Kirsten
Also known as: KirstenM
:  US 9 - 5.5 mm
Green
Size: M
Let's shake it up with a little modification.  Ok, a lot of modification.  Love Talia, but need something warmer? Add sleeves!  Not comfortable with a plunging neckline: A broad yoke will draw attention to your face just as well.  Kirsten decided to keep her secret modifications to herself, but I'd encourage you to try and shake things up on your own.  It's only yarn, people!  If you mess up, just frog or tink back until it's agreeable.  That's why knitting is so much more forgiving than sewing.  The fabric you create is never permanent, you always have the option of making changes.  Great job, Kirsten!




This is: Susan
Also known as: Shamby
:  US 9 - 5.5 mm
Midnight Heather
Size: s/m
Susan knit this sweater while evacuating from Hurricane Ike.  I feel her pain.  I'm in South Louisiana and these hurricanes lately are wearing me out.  Let's just pretend there isn't an oil leak eating away at our marshland, which is our only natural defense against future storms, but I digress.
Isn't "Midnight Heather" a great color for this vest?  If you are one of those people convinced you need a dark color in order to try and hide yourself away, let me suggest a deep navy blue.  Of course, Susan here has nothing to hide, but the blue looks great on her.  She's also working the short-sleeved blouse and she's making me want to go out and buy one.  

This is: Ansley
Also known as: PinkPorcupine
: US 9 - 5.5 mm
: Patons Classic Wool Merino
Dark Grey Mix
Size: 1x
Sometimes I wonder if you guys are lying about your size, or if the pattern is really that good?  If I had to guess, I'd put this at an M, but Ansley says it's a 1x, so I believe her.  The best part is it's not black!  See guys, slimming can be neutral too!  I know the yarn is technically grey, but it looks brown in the photo (to me).  And how good does it look, anyway?!  Ansley also sewed up the front band.  She was concerned about gaping, and her buttons are open spirals- a nightmare for knits. All things to consider when planning your garments.  Or, you can just dive in and hope for the best- like me!




This is: Agelbelle
: US 8 - 5.0 mm
Brown
This Talia is really brown.  It looks almost like the same color as the one above.  I think the neutral color really understates the vest, and I mean that in a good way.  Not everyone shares my love for bright, bold color (I KNOW!) The tame color and looser fit give this version a more casual look than the others. I can't get over how versatile this pattern is. She could just as easily throw this over a maxi dress with gladiator sandals and be ready for summer.









This is: Michelle
Also known as: Sheepmademedoit
Needles: US 7 - 4.5 mm
Black
Size: L at smaller gauge

I think all of these projects use similar weight yarns.  I'd like to see this in a lighter yarn, in a looser gauge.  Michelle, here, has used the suggested weight yarn, but knit a tighter gauge.  I think this gives the vest even more of a "corset" effect than the designer planned for.  I think the gauge and the pattern/texture of the vest make it very slimming in this instance.  I'm also willing to give 5% of that effect to the black color, although I think it would be just as slimming in, say, forest green.


Also known as: quiltnut
She's got over 200 FOs on Ravelry.  The woman's a MACHINE I tell ya!
: US 7 - 4.5 mm

Gray
Size: xs
At first I thought those were fleur de lis on her shirt, but then I realized they were skulls and crossbones.  Ah, a girl after my own heart.  I LOVE skulls and crossbones!
What this project shows is the versatility of this pattern.  While Agelbelle was channeling Martha Stewart a few paragraphs up, this cutie is rocking out with skulls and crossbones. (Marina says her daughter won't actually wear the vest, but I think that's more a function of mom making than the vest itself not looking great.  My kids won't wear my creations either.)  Also notice how she's got enough negative ease to button only one button and bear a little midriff, but I'm sure mom doesn't want to hear about that...


Conclusions:
This pattern is great for any size, shape, and age.  Super-versatile and amenable to mods, you can go with a wide variety of bold colors or let the pattern /texture speak for itself.  Also great for dressing up or down.
Speak Up: 
Have you knit this pattern?  How do you feel about bold color vs. darks/neutrals? Have you knit this in a lighter yarn? Have you tried some crazy mods? Send me a photo and we'll share your experiences.



1 comment:

  1. Wow. The sweater version looks great (you're right - they all do). I'd love to know how she pulled off the lace yoke, since there's no hint of it in the pattern.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated. If you can't say something nice, shut the hell up!